Azura is seeking an experienced communications specialist to assist NOAA Fisheries Office of Aquaculture.
Having high attention to detail, strong writing and reading skills, and the ability to communicate with diverse audiences are critical skills for this position. Potential candidates must also possess the curiosity and ability to find solutions and resolve issues based on available resources. Applicants must be able to operate independently, manage their own work schedule, and dedicate blocks of time for uninterrupted focus to develop outreach materials.
Work can be conducted remotely or at the NMFS Silver Spring, Maryland, office and is full-time (40 hours per week, Monday through Friday). During workdays, candidates must be able to respond to all communications within 24 hours and conduct calls and meetings as necessary during normal business hours, but beyond that, work hours are flexible. Some travel to in-person meetings may be required.
Compensation and Benefits
- Pay will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Competitive benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance and life and disability insurance. The employee will be eligible for a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match and will receive paid time off for vacation, sick leave, and federal holidays.
The employee will perform a variety of tasks related to communications. Specific tasks are expected to include the following:
- Assist NOAA Fisheries in creation and development of communications, outreach, and education tools and products to help the public better understand NOAA Fisheries’ core missions and science.
- Conduct scientific expert interviews
- Prepare technical and scientific content for nontechnical audiences
- Develop and post written materials for the NOAA Fisheries website, using Drupal Software
- Develop strategic communications products and targeted outreach campaigns for specific audiences such as commercial fishermen, recreational anglers, fish and shellfish farmers, the seafood and nutrition community, nongovernment organizations interested in marine life, and other specific stakeholder groups
- Plan and participate in education and outreach events and collaborations
- Work with NOAA to prepare any deliverables that relate to the tasks above such as new communications tools and resources, educational and outreach materials, and digital communications for the web and social media
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, Communications, Science Communications, Public Relations, or related field
- A minimum of 5 to 7 years of experience writing for a news organization, an agency, a business, or a nongovernmental organization
- Experience interviewing experts in a journalistic style
- Experience translating technical and scientific writing into plain language
- Experience writing outreach content related to fish, fisheries, or aquaculture
How to Apply
- Prepare a single PDF document that includes:
- A 1-page cover letter that specifies the position to which you are applying; your earliest available start date; and your level of knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience as they pertain to the key responsibilities and desired strengths of this position
- A resume (no more than 3 pages) targeted specifically towards the duties and qualifications of this position
- Phone and email contact information for 2 to 4 professional references who can provide a knowledgeable assessment of your job-specific qualifications
- Name the PDF in the format of Lastname‐Firstname_Application_Communications Specialist
- Send the PDF to email@example.com with “Communications Specialist” in the subject line
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions
Azura Consulting LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law. We strongly encourage all qualified persons to apply for this position.
Azura Consulting LLC is an economically disadvantaged woman-owned small business specializing in protected species conservation, management, and research.