Azura is looking for an experienced communications specialist to assist NOAA Fisheries Office of Communications and Office of Aquaculture in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Having high attention to detail and the ability to communicate with diverse audiences are critical skills for this position. Potential candidates must also possess the curiosity and ability to find solutions and resolve issues based on available resources. Applicants must be able to operate independently and manage their own work schedule.
Work is anticipated to be conducted remotely and full-time. During workdays, candidates must be able to respond to all communications within 24 hours and conduct calls and meetings as necessary during normal business hours. Beyond the communication requirements, work hours are flexible.
- Assist NOAA Fisheries in creation and development of communications, outreach, and education tools and products to help the public better understand NOAA Fisheries’ core missions and science.
- Conduct scientific expert interviews
- Prepare technical and scientific content for nontechnical audiences
- Develop strategic communications products and targeted outreach campaigns for specific audiences such as commercial fishermen, recreational anglers, fish and shellfish farmers, the seafood and nutrition community, non-government organizations interested in marine life, and other specific stakeholder groups
- Plan and participate in education and outreach events and collaborations
- Work with NOAA to prepare any deliverables that relate to the task above such as new communications tools and resources, updated graphic design materials, educational and outreach materials, and digital communications for the web and social media
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, Communications, Science Communications, Public Relations, or related field
- A minimum of 5 to 7 years of experience writing for a news organization, an agency, a business, or a nongovernmental organization
- Experience interviewing experts in a journalistic style
- Experience translating technical and scientific writing into plain language
- Experience writing Section 508 accessible content for the web and social media
- Experience writing outreach content related to fish, fisheries, or aquaculture
In compliance with federal law, all applicants must be able to prove that they are legally able to work in the United States and pass a security/background check.
Azura Consulting LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law. We strongly encourage all qualified persons to apply for this position.
If you are interested in this position and have all of the required qualifications listed above, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your resume, please describe how you meet all of the required qualifications and list contact information for three references who can attest to your previous work experience. In your cover letter, please describe why you would be a good fit for this position.