Azura is recruiting for an Environmental Compliance Specialist to support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Greater Atlantic Regional Field Office (GARFO), Protected Resources Division (PRD), Protected Species Conservation Branch, which is responsible for carrying out the mandates of the Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) and the Endangered Species Act (ESA). This position will provide support for protected resources vessel strike reduction efforts along the U.S. East Coast.
Having high attention to detail and the ability to manage short project timelines are critical skills for this position. Potential candidates must also possess the curiosity and ability to find solutions and resolve issues based on available resources and also have strong client and team communication skills. Applicants must be able to operate independently, manage their own work schedule, and dedicate blocks of time for uninterrupted focus.
Place of Performance and Work Schedule
Work is anticipated to be remote, but applicants must reside in the mid-Atlantic region (North Carolina to New York) to meet with mariners and port operators in this region. The position is full-time (40 hours per week, Monday through Friday). During workdays, candidates must be able to respond to all communications within 24 hours and conduct calls and meetings as necessary during normal business hours. Beyond the communication requirements, work hours are extremely flexible. Some travel will be required.
Compensation and Benefits
- Pay will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Competitive benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance and life and disability insurance. You will be eligible for a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match and will receive paid time off for vacation, sick leave, and federal holidays.
The employee will perform a variety of tasks related to environmental compliance support. Specific tasks are expected to include the following:
- Coordinating with NMFS staff to support programs and provide consistent messaging aimed at reducing the risk that vessel strike poses to species protected under the ESA and MMPA.
- Providing outreach and education to mariners and their related stakeholder groups about risks to marine wildlife, regulatory compliance, marine wildlife guidelines, and other best practices associated with reducing risks to protected marine wildlife.
- Participating in and/or supporting NMFS meetings and working groups related to the conservation and protection of marine wildlife, especially as it relates to reducing/mitigating vessel strike.
- Developing and maintaining conservation partnerships/networks to promote protected species conservation programs and/or strategies aligned with marine mammal and/or protected species protection.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, biological sciences, or a related field
- Minimum two years of experience with marine resource management or conservation work
- Experience presenting on resource management topics to diverse stakeholders, preferably related to complex or contentious issues
- Experience providing outreach and education to target audiences
- Experience working independently
- Experience working collaboratively with a team to ensure proper communication regarding deadlines and project directives
- Ability to effectively and efficiently work under tight deadlines and scheduled action dates
- Strong organizational, analytical, written, and verbal skills
- Proficiency in working with Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Access, and Excel), and Google Suite
- Candidate must be able to pass a thorough background check.
- Experience creating conservation messaging and/or graphics
How to Apply
- Prepare a single PDF document that includes:
- A 1-page cover letter that specifies the position to which you are applying; your earliest available start date; and your level of knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience as they pertain to the key responsibilities and desired strengths of this position
- A resume (no more than 3 pages) targeted specifically towards the duties and qualifications of this position
- Phone and email contact information for 2 to 4 professional references who can provide a knowledgeable assessment of your job-specific qualifications
- Name the PDF in the format of Lastname‐Firstname_Application_Env Comp Specialist (NARW)
- Send the PDF to email@example.com with “Env Comp Specialist (NARW)” in the subject line
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions
Azura Consulting LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law. We strongly encourage all qualified persons to apply for this position.
Azura Consulting LLC is an economically disadvantaged woman-owned small business specializing in protected species conservation, management, and research.