Azura is recruiting for an Environmental Specialist to support the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Greater Atlantic Regional Field Office (GARFO), Protected Resources Division (PRD), which is responsible for implementation of the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) covering the geographic range from Maine to Virginia.
This position is concerned with regulatory and analytical processes, rather than with field research.
The Environmental Specialist will take responsibility for these tasks:
- Providing assistance to the PRD’s energy team on Section 7 consultations related to the effects of energy projects on ESA-listed species such as North Atlantic right whales and Atlantic and shortnose sturgeon
- Developing letters of concurrence, sections of biological opinions, and literature reviews
- Responding to requests for information from action agencies such as the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management and assisting in providing technical assistance
- Reviewing and preparing comments on Environmental Impact Statements and other documents prepared in association with environmental reviews of energy projects
Place of Performance
- Work can be remote or on site at the GARFO in Gloucester, MA
Compensation and Benefits
- Pay will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Competitive benefits, including medical, dental, and vision insurance and life and disability insurance. You will be eligible for a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match and will receive paid time off for vacation, sick leave, and federal holidays.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Biology, Environmental Science, or a closely related field
- Demonstrated knowledge of the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act, Marine Mammal Protection Act, Endangered Species Act, and other applicable statutes and policies
- Work experience in the review and development of environmental impact statements, biological opinions, or similar reviews of the impact of actions on the marine environment
- Experience assessing the impacts of Federal, state, or private actions on marine species, including whales, sea turtles, fish, and their habitats and preparing written reports on those impacts
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, attention to detail, and organization skills
- Ability to work independently, and to meet appropriate project milestones
- U.S. citizenship and presence and ability to comply with EO 14042
How to Apply
- Prepare a single PDF document that includes:
- A 1-page cover letter that specifies the position to which you are applying; your earliest available start date; and your level of knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience as they pertain to the key responsibilities and desired strengths of this position
- A resume (no more than 3 pages) targeted specifically towards the duties and qualifications of this position
- Phone and email contact information for 2 to 4 professional references who can provide a knowledgeable assessment of your job-specific qualifications
- Name the PDF in the format of Lastname‐Firstname_Application_Env Specialist-PRD
- Send the PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Env Specialist-PRD” in the subject line
- Please email email@example.com with questions
Azura Consulting LLC is an economically disadvantaged woman-owned small business specializing in protected species conservation, management, and research. Azura Consulting LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law. We strongly encourage all qualified persons to apply for this position.